As we head into the year’s busiest (and most stressful) shopping period surrounded with concerns about inflation and possible recession, gift givers and receivers alike are looking for more intentional ways to spread holiday cheer, without additional stress. Unsurprisingly, gifting is at the top of the list when it comes to holiday stress makers.
Even with our closest relationships, most gift givers have experienced the dread of not knowing what to get and spending hours of searching that ends with disappointment or buying an impersonal gift card. With both budgets and time at a premium, there is an opportunity for us to reconsider how we approach gifting so that we can experience more joy with the ones we love. From grandparents to spouses, creating and sharing a gift list is a considerate way to help gift givers know what you actually want to receive.
I recently spoke with Nancy Lee, President of the premier gifting destination, MyRegistry.com, who is dedicated to alleviating the social stigma of gift lists, encouraging people and businesses to create gift lists not only for the holidays but also for every gifting occasion. Nancy discussed the many benefits of giving the Gift of a List this season and how MyRegistry is innovating the gifting model, for every one of our celebrated life moments.
Gary Drenik: Why is it important for consumers to shop intentionally this holiday season as opposed to adopting trends?
Nancy Lee: According to a recent Prosper Insights & Analytics survey, 60% of Adults 18 or older revealed that the current state of the U.S. economy will impact how they shop this holiday. As consumer budgets and retailer return windows tighten, we are encouraging people to give their friends and family the Gift of a List. Both shareable and shoppable, MyRegistry’s Gift Lists take the guesswork out of gift giving, finally making it possible for loved ones to give incredible gifts, without contributing to the estimated $15B that is spent (wasted) on unwanted gifts or the over $3B that gets left on gift cards every year.
We believe that shoppers who are looking for ways to be more sustainable this holiday will also appreciate the intentionality that comes with being given the Gift of a List. A Gift List is a powerful way for consumers to chip away at the estimated 5B lbs. of annual holiday gift waste that ends up in our landfills.
Drenik: Why do you believe there is an overarching stigma around sharing gift lists for non-traditional occasions? How does MyRegistry help challenge this age-old societal sentiment and encourage consumers to tap into the inherent need to be their authentic selves?
Lee: It’s time to shift current perceptions around gift giving. Perhaps perceived in the past as presumptuous, creating a Gift List puts the joy of gifting back into the holiday season.
- Unlike old fashioned gift guides that focus on trending items that may or may not be relevant to your life, the Gift List is a curated list of the things that matter most to you.
- Gift Lists tap into a very natural human behavior of creating lists of the things we want, something that we learn as kids. We should encourage behaviors that are instinctive, natural, and beneficial.
- Acceptance of registries for milestone events like getting married or having a baby are common and even appreciated. It shouldn’t be any different for the holidays?
Drenik: How does MyRegistry make life easier for family and friends during an inherently high-stress time of year?
Lee: Creating a MyRegistry Gift List saves friends and family time, energy, and stress by taking the guesswork out of gifting. Gift givers can easily reference desired items, ensuring that Gift List creators get something they are sure to love.
To make life even easier for gift givers, we suggest that creators:
- Include items with various price points so everyone who wishes to buy them a gift feels comfortable doing so.
- Create a separate Gift List for kids – so that they can be supervised throughout the process.
- Share the Gift List with friends and family with ample time for them to get them what you want in time for the holidays.
Drenik: How did the pandemic affect retailers and how is MyRegistry assisting them during the holiday season?
Lee: Through the pandemic, retailers have struggled to react to supply chain challenges. As a result, this holiday season, we will see retailers tighten their return time frames, add restocking fees and do away with free shipping on returns, making it harder for shoppers to return unwanted gifts.
- MyRegistry Gift Lists are curated by the creator to add exactly what they want
- MyRegistry Gift Lists are always shareable and shoppable
- ·MyRegistry Gift Lists are universal, which means a creator can add items from any store, anywhere
The net benefit resulting in a win-win-win. Less hassle for the receiver, less stress for the giver and almost zero returns for the retailer.
Drenik: Lastly, how can preparing for the upcoming holiday season now help your friends and family?
Lee: Creating your Holiday Gift List with MyRegistry.com gives your loved ones the early holiday gift of time, convenience, and hassle-free shopping. The time leading up to the holidays is hectic and sharing the Gift of a List allows friends and family to enjoy more time together.
Drenik: Thank you, Nancy, for taking the time to discuss MyRegistry today and how your online Gift List can help save time, money, and stress in the holiday season ahead.