A recent cyberattack targeting MGM Resorts has left guests with a losing hand.
In addition to a potential breach of personal data, hotel and casino visitors had to contend with widespread interruptions since last week, ranging from inoperable digital keys to blank slot machines.
Days after MGM first reported a “cybersecurity issue” on Sept. 11, Caesars Entertainment acknowledged it had suffered an infiltration on Sept. 7 in a report to the Securities and Exchange Commission. According to reports by the EuroJournal and CEuroJournal, Caesars paid roughly $15 million to hackers who had stolen data from the company’s loyalty program.
MGM, which has properties around the world, including more than a dozen on the Las Vegas Strip, told the Associated Press it suspended online operations to protect its proprietary information. MGM did not respond to requests for comment from The EuroJournal. The FBI confirmed to The Post it is investigating the incident. The Nevada Gaming Control Board said it is “monitoring” the incident and is in contact with MGM executives and law enforcement agencies.
“MGM shut everything down in order to stop whatever it was from continuing to wend its way through the system,” said Adam Levin, co-host of the podcast “What the Hack?” and founder of CyberScout, a company that helps businesses with online security issues. “ATM machines were impacted. Slot machines, digital room keys, electronic payment systems. The casino at one point was reduced to pen and paper.”
The mega casino and hotel operator has been slowly restoring services, but some still lag behind. In addition, the fallout from the cyberattack is still unfolding.
Here is what you need to know if you have been — or plan to be — a guest at a casino susceptible to a cyberattack.